In 2014 Oldmachar Academy set up a group for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. This group is open to any pupil in S3 and S4.
Almost 100 pupils attended the introductory talk which gave them an overview of the requirements for the Bronze Award. In order to achieve this award the pupils have to undertake 4 sections:
- Skill - an hour a week for 3 months improving a current skill or developing a new skill
- Physical - an hour a week for 3 months improving physical fitness
- Volunteering - an hour a week for 3 months volunteering for a not for profit organisation
- In addition a further 3 months must be completed for any one of the above 3 sections.
- Expedition - complete training and an assessed expedition, 2 days walking and an overnight camping for each
More information can be found on The Duke of Edinburgh's Award website.
This is a relaunched venture for Oldmachar Academy and we are delighted that so many pupils have shown an interest. We currently have 60 students doing the Bronze Award and 6 doing their Silver Award.
Any pupils in S4 or S5 who would like to get involved in the Duke of Edinburgh's scheme should indicate their interest to me as soon as possible.
Mrs Moir, Duke of Edinburgh Co-ordinator
The DofE Team at Adventure Aberdeen have put together the following useful guidance for these activities:-
- Sports Leadership
- Sports / Dance Appreciation
- First Aid
Advice on placements from the DofE Team at Adventure Aberdeen